Chapter 12 Bonus: A Confidence-Building Audio Track
To the right, you will find an audio file that contains an NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) based visualization that can help you increase your level of confidence. Here are the instructions:
1. Listen to the file only when you know you will not be interrupted for about six minutes, and when your attention is not required for any other task.
2. The visualisation works best when you either have your eyes closed or are staring at a spot in the middle distance above eye level (e.g., a point on the ceiling).
3. You can listen to this as often as you like, and it’s especially useful at the start of a big new project, or anytime you feel your confidence flagging.
Six Good Ideas about…Taming the Wild Inner and Outer Critic
1. If you know that someone is not constructive in their criticism, don’t ask for it. If they start to offer it anyway, politely tell them you’ll let them know when you need their feedback.
2. Make a deal with yourself to suspend your judgment until you have finished your first draft.
3. If you find yourself starting to doubt your ability, use the audio file on this page or just mentally revisit other times in your life when you doubted yourself about something (not necessarily related to writing) and went on to achieve it.
4. Have at least one person in your life who is your cheerleader and when you feel a lack of confidence have a chat with them, for real or just in your imagination. In your imagination you can evoke someone from the past who may not be around anymore (for example, a supportive grandparent) or someone you admire (a historical figure, for instance).
5. Download the ‘transforming the inner critic’ trance from our sales page and put it on your MP3 player as well as your computer, and listen to it if and when your harsh inner critic puts in an appearance.
6. If you start to go into a negative frame of mind, listen to uplifting music and get up and move around—it’s hard to stay depressed when you’re moving, and a bit of exercise will help refresh your mind as well.
“With compassion, wit and the wisdom from a long successful writing career, Jurgen Wolff guides you step by step, on the inner and outer journey to writing success.”
— Robert Cochran, co-creator and Executive Producer, ’24’
“Highly recommended. Your Writing Coach pays as much attention to writers as to what they write and should help seasoned pros as much as it will help beginners.”
— Julian Friedmann, agent and editor, Scriptwriter Magazine.